Thursday, April 26, 2012

Alm--Module 4--Connectivism


Siemens (2006) stated “Learning is a process of connecting specialized nodes or information sources” (para 23). Based on this definition, my network has changed the way I learn because my network is a resource that I use daily. As an introvert, I did not have communities of practice as a node two years ago, as many web tools, or professional organizations. I keep more information in my network, and as a result I use it more often. Siemens precisely described the process that I experienced when he said “The starting point of connectivism is the individual. Personal knowledge is comprised of a network, which feeds into organizations and institutions, which in turn feed back into the network, and then continue to provide learning to [the] individual. This cycle of knowledge development (personal to network to organization) allows learners to remain current in their field through the connections they have formed” (para. 27).

Search engines, blogs, wikis, and user communities are tools that facilitate learning for me. Sometime, simulations or video podcasts are valuable tools for me to use when I want to see how something is accomplished. Often, what I want to learn dictates the tools I will use.
When I want to learn something new or I have a question, I “google” it first to get an overview of listings and topics; I look for a good site that will give me an overall description and then look for an expert’s name associate with the thought or product. I, then, look for websites, blogs, articles, and social networks associated with the expert and the topic. If I spot some anti-topic websites or blogs, I skim them as well.  Finally, I will go to the Walden library to look up articles by the experts I have identified and the topics I am interested in.  


Siemens, G. (n.d.). Connectivism: Networked and social learning [Web log]. Retrieved from http://www.connectivism.ca/

Blogs I've posted to:
David Davis at http://edtechlearningtheory8845-2.blogspot.com/2012/04/connectivism-how-has-your-network.html#comment-form
Sherri Carey http://theoryandeducationaltech.blogspot.com/2012/04/connectivism-mindmap.html#comment-form

7 comments:

  1. Carolyn,

    Search engines and blogs are digital tools that facilitate learning for me as well. Search engines have been an effective tool in seeking new knowledge and information online. I believe that for many, search engines have become a fundamental part of their information environment. Search engines provide me with the benefit of accessing the most current information beyond that which is contained in a book, on the shelves of the library.

    This has been my first experience with blogs, but I definitely believe that my blog has provided me with an environment in which I can reflect on and publish my thoughts and views. Blogs have certainly become an effective learning tool for me.

    Pamela Loder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn,
      I find visual and audio cue most stimluating and is key when connecting the nunances that reading text fells to communicate. I also find when visiting communities of practices, it helps when they add a video to their blog, it enhances my ability to quickly grapse the concept.

      Delete
    2. Hi, David. Good point! I like visual and audio as well when I am trying to understand a topic. I think Siemens also said that video and audio work well with connectivism.

      Delete
    3. Hi, Pamela. I use Google to search for blogs, too. I recently used Google Scholar to search for information on connectivism and found more pertinent article using it than just with Google. When we are required to link to another blog is when I use Google to find related blogs for me.

      If I cannot find what I am looking for on Google, I usually go to the Walden Library. Where did you go if you can't find information on a search engine?

      Delete
  2. Hi Carolyn,
    If I need information on any topic, except shopping, I visit wikipedia, then google it. Earlier, people did not consider wikipedia to be an acceptable source. Now I see Wikipedia is being quoted in scholarly articles too. I asked Prof. Keith Pratt about Wikipeida's authenticity. He was positive about wikipedia. Then I read a research about the accuracy that it is almost as accurate Encyclopedia Britanica.
    Making the story short, search engines, wikipedia, blog and many more have become possible only because of internet.
    Anwar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Anwar. Thanks for bringing up Wikipedia. I use it too; I use it to get an overview, find the creator of the idea or product, and look for useful links. I recently noticed Wikipedia showing up on some reference lists, and I wondered about it. Maybe, it is acceptable for nonpeer reviewed articles? I do not know if I would use it in an article that was going to be published in a peer reviewed journal (if ever I write one of those), however. Have you seen any like that? Usually, the ones I notice are from other countries where it may be more acceptable? I did notice that Siemens used it in his reference list on one of the numerous documents.He is from Canada, so maybe outside the USA there is a different perspective on Wikipedia?

      Delete
  3. Dear Carolyn,
    You made a great point when you talked about videos. I completely forgot to mention that! And it is a huge thing for me as well. When I look for a concept, and I cannot experience it", or find an expert nearby, I find videos to relate to the subject! As an example, looking for TPRs classrooms, or changing a road bike tire... Thank you again for a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete