Monday, May 14, 2012

Alm--Module 5: New Technologies


I have not experienced a situation in the workplace where I have encouraged people to use a new technology and have been met with resistance or disappointing results. My teaching style is to explain my purpose for wanting students to learn a new technology before I teach it and to make it applicable to their lives. For example, several years ago, when blogs were just starting to become popular, I incorporated blogs into the face-to-face composition class I was teaching at a career college. I wanted my students to have a technological edge over possible job competitors since in six weeks they would be entering the job market.  Also, these students were not traditional academic students; most had not done well academically in high school. I explained to my students that since blogs were new and few in their particular professions would know how to design and use them, it would be a good skill for them to learn and that it was fun and easy. It would be in their best interest to know how, so they could volunteer to create one or suggest it to their future company. I did not have anyone refuse, and everyone liked having an edge others might not possess. Without knowing it, I was using Keller’s ARC (2005).


Driscoll, M. P. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment